The Teatro degli Illuminati in Città di Castello, commissioned by the local society of the “Accademici Illuminati”, was built by architect Antonio Gabrielli. It opened to the public in the year 1666. The theatre has been active for a long time, with several renovations during the years, until it was decided to rebuild it completely in 1783. In 1939 it was sold to the municipality of Città di Castello. The latest restorations took place in 1979 and in 1984. After these final works, the Teatro degli Illuminati became what we see today. Stalls and gallery can seat up to four hundred people. The theatre is used as one of the venues for the famous Festival delle Nazioni, as well as hosting many other cultural events.