Sala Podiani, Galleria Nazionale dell’Umbria, Perugia
The Sala Podiani is in the Palazzo dei Priori, above the Sala dei Notari, in the centre of Perugia, and it was originally used by the Capitano del Popolo. There are fragments of frescoes on the walls, and we can recognise a few family crests of the 14th century. The imposing wooden ceiling was rebuilt in 1893. The name Podiani comes from the bibliophile Prospero Podiani, who donated to the municipality of Perugia part of his library in 1582; the books were stored in this beautiful room until 1968. The Sala Podiani is now an integral part of the Museum of the National Gallery of Umbria, and is used for temporary exhibitions, concerts, conferences and other cultural activities.