The Benedictine Abbey of San Pietro in Perugia is one of the oldest and most prestigious monastic foundations in central Italy. Founded in 966 by the Abbot Pietro, it played a strategic role in the politics of the papacy from the Middle Ages until the nineteenth century. Since 1890 the property has been owned by the Fondazione per l’istruzione agraria in Perugia. Among the antique cloisters is the Aula Magna of the Faculty who now use the space of the old refectory of the Benedictine monks.
August 10, 2018